[U-Boot] U-book and GPLv3? (fwd)

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Tue Jun 23 18:33:53 CEST 2009

Hello Richard,

> There's only one thing about U-Boot that doesn't seem so good:
>
>     U-Boot is GPLv2 (sometimes "or later").
>
> To have some parts which are GPLv2 only is unfortunate.

This is due to us many times (re-)using Linux drivers inside U-Boot.

Also this is one of the objections worded on the mailing list, namely
that such a cooperation will be impossible in the future if U-Boot moves
to GPLv3.

As a base for reasonable discussion, I think we need to evaluate those
claims and back them up by actual figures.  Only then the real effort
needed to move and the potential loss of "code immigration" can be
estimated.

> Is there any chance of convincing those authors to change that?

Apart from the the above reasons, currently most people who voiced their
opinion (not too many right now) oppose the move.  The reasoning seems
to be that companies using U-Boot inside a commercial product consider
it to be "a neccessary precondition to only accept blessed firmware
upgrades" (my wording).  What motivates this argument is not completely
clear to me.  Maybe it is fear of being liable as a product vendor to
faulty sw upgrades.

A common theme in the embedded community is the fear of "getting copied
by cheap labor countries" - which should not be the case here, but I
cannot say for sure.

I believe that without discussing this question seriously with all its
implications we will not get enough momentum to even start defining the
work for a switch.

We should also start to actively inform the regularly appearing people
on this mailing list complaining that they cannot get the source code to
U-Boot of "device xyz" that with a GPLv2 U-Boot this may become a
theoretical question in the future when they cannot install the changed
binary anymore.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
Die meisten schaetzen nicht, was sie verstehen; aber was sie nicht fassen
koennen, verehren sie.  Um geschaetzt zu werden, muessen die Sachen Muehe