[U-Boot] U-book and GPLv3? (fwd)

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Wed Jun 24 18:45:38 CEST 2009

Hi Matthew,

thanks for the explanation.

>> Don't you mistake "security" for "authenticity"?
>
> In this context, I believe both terms are interchangeable and effectively
> mean the same thing.

This is generally not true.  These concepts have well defined meanings.
I can have a secure communicatins channel with someone I did not
authenticate.  Also I can have a non-secure communications channel with
someone who authenticated himself by some means to me.

> It is secure because only authenticated code is allowed to be
> executed, thus another step to avoid piracy, hacking of conditional
> access systems etc.

Running only authenticated code does *not* ensure security, no matter
how much this is wished for.

But no matter, I now understand that "security" seems to mean "data can
only be handled in the way intended by the owners of the data" which is
a different concept to me.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
FORTRAN's tragic fate has been its wide acceptance, mentally chaining thousands
and thousands of programmers to our past mistakes. I pray daily that more of my