[U-Boot] "Bad Data CRC" after ramdisk size increase

Mikhail Zaturenskiy mzaturenskiy at shoppertrak.com
Thu Jun 25 16:23:34 CEST 2009

Hi Rahanesh,

Rahanesh wrote:
> Hello Mikhail Zaturenskiy,
>
> I am also trying to load Linux from uboot.  When i try to boot Linux
> from uboot it stops at Verifying Checksum and stops there. What might be
> the reasson for this?
>
> This is my output.
>
> U-Boot 1.1.2 (Jun 10 2008 - 18:55:13)
>
> Board: MIPS CPU Speed 200 MHz
> DRAM:  16 MB
> sflash.c:266:DF_F_DataflashProbe: Entered
> sflash.c:269:DF_F_DataflashProbe: flash type is 0x1
> sflash.c:270:DF_F_DataflashProbe: num pages 32768
> DataFlash:Nb pages:  32768
> Page Size:    256
> Size= 8388608 bytes
> Logical address: 0xAD000000
> Nb Erase Blocks:    128
> Erase Block Size:  65536
> Area 0:    AD000000 to AD003FFF
> Area 1:    AD004000 to AD03FFFF
> Area 2:    AD040000 to AD30BFFF
> Area 3:    AD30C000 to AD7FFFFF
> crc matched
> In:    serial
> Out:   serial
> Err:   serial
> Net:    Eth.
>
> Type "run flash_nfs" to mount root filesystem over NFS
>
> Hit any key to stop autoboot:   0
> ### JFFS2 loading '/boot/uImage' to 0x80800000
> Scanning JFFS2 FS:   .  ..............................-  done.
> ### JFFS2 load complete: 3249008 bytes loaded to 0x80800000
> ## Booting image at 80800000 ...
>   Image Name:   Linux Kernel Image with ramdisk.
>   Created:      2009-06-22   4:37:12 UTC
>   Image Type:   MIPS Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
>   Data Size:    3248944 Bytes =  3.1 MB
>   Load Address: 80100000
>   Entry Point:  80578000
>   Verifying Checksum ... Bad Data CRC
>
> UBOOT>
>

> I Had a working Linux image initially. When i increased the size of
> Ramdisk and built a new image (Linux + Ramdisk) it fails at checksum.
> Please throw some light on this...
>

> Thanks
> Rahanesh

As I am not an expert in your board configuration, it may be a good idea
  next time to include "u-boot at lists.denx.de" in the CC of your
response, or just posting a new question altogether, so that somebody
else in the mailing list has a chance to help you.

Now, the issue might be that your new image was not properly burned into
flash or maybe something got corrupted when you were combining the
kernel and ramdisk.

You could try re-burning your image into flash and try booting again.
If that doesn't work, you could also try changing your ramdisk size back
to what it was, build the kernel+ramdisk image again and see if you can
get it working with your previous configuration. If that works then
you'll narrow the issue down to being a problem with the ramdisk size
increase. If it doesn't work, than there some other factor involved
thats messing this up.

Sorry I can't provide more insight, I still have a lot to learn about
all this :)

Maybe somebody else has any better suggestions?

Mike Z.