[U-Boot] U-book and GPLv3? (fwd)

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Thu Jun 25 20:46:10 CEST 2009

Hi,

since this threads gets more and more interesting, just a question out
of my curiosity:

which operating systems, that get typically booted using U-Boot are
already under GPL3?

I know that the license of the Boot Loader has nothing to do with the
license of the booted software, what is the "political benefit" to put
the boot loader under GPLv3, when the major OS of the software (e.g.
linux) are under GPLv2?

wkr,

Thomas Doerfler.

Wolfgang Denk schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I was asked about relicensing U-Boot as GPLv3:

Embedded Brains GmbH
Thomas Doerfler           Obere Lagerstr. 30
D-82178 Puchheim          Germany
email: Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Phone: +49-89-18908079-2
Fax:   +49-89-18908079-9