[U-Boot] U-book and GPLv3? (fwd)

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Fri Jun 26 15:48:07 CEST 2009

On Friday 26 June 2009 04:21:15 Detlev Zundel wrote:

> >> As a quick web research did not help, if this is a legal requirement,
> >> then can you point me to the law which requires such a thing?
> >
> > nothing personal, but ...
> >
> > (1) you still arent a lawyer
> > (2) i never said there was a law that stated this
> > (3) i did say "their legal team came to the conclusion that ..."
> >
> > the law and your interpretation of it is irrelevant.
>
> Wow, the law is irrelevant.  I give up.  You repeatedly claim stuff
> without backing anything up.  There is nothing more I can gain from this
> discussion, so I let it rest.

why not try keeping up with the thread instead of taking things out of
context.  the point of this subthread was that the software people doing the
work are told to do XYZ by their legal team.  thus it is a software
requirement irregardless of anything else.

plus, the law in these areas is hardly ever clear.  it may state one thing,
and yet there are precedences that take it a different way.  or the laws have
no precedence at all (which is fairly typical with open source) in which case
lawyers are often very conservative.  after all, their screw up here could
easily cost a company 6 or 7 figures if not worse penalties.

your demand of black and white conformance in a pure gray legal world is
completely unrealistic.
-mike