[U-Boot] U-book and GPLv3? (fwd)

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Fri Jun 26 23:35:42 CEST 2009

    >     Embedded systems using core soc silicon from a number of manufacturers
    >     have started to use what is known as 'secure boot'. This is typically
    > the case in applications which utilise conditional access system software
    > to protect content. The emphasis on using secure boot is largely driven by
    > the conditional access industry itself.
    >
    > The principal purpose of these products is to restrict the public's
    > freedom.  So it is natural that their means involve restricting our
    > freedom too.

    it sure is nice to make generalities as it makes your resulting argument so
    much easier to digest.  the companies ive worked with could give two sh*ts
    about end customers tinkering with their products.  they're interested in
    keeping their product secure from other people in their respective industry
    and from malicious tampering for regulation/safety purposes.

The comment I responded to talked about the "conditional access
industry" and my response was about those products too.  I stand by
what I said about them.

Your various messages suggest that you are talking about other kinds
of products, so that your experience does not conflict with what I said.