[U-Boot] U-book and GPLv3? (fwd)

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Mon Jun 29 09:05:16 CEST 2009

Richard,

Richard Stallman wrote:
>     Wouldn't it make sense to add a paragraph to the GPL, stating that a
>     company using GPL software in their system must also provide all that
>     documentation to their customers? Only then the SW modification can be
>     properly done?
>
> It is not possible for a software license to require this in general.
> It may be possible to require this in the case where the software is
> delivered with a product.  For GPLv4, we could think about whether
> this is a good idea.  But we are not yet working on a GPLv4.

Obviously I should have set the <ironic> tag explicitly. Please don't do
that. And if you do, please don't point to me as the originator of that
idea. Because I think my "idea" is bad.

wkr,
Thomas.

Embedded Brains GmbH
Thomas Doerfler        Obere Lagerstrasse 30
D-82178 Puchheim       Germany
email: Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Phone: +49-89-18908079-2
Fax:   +49-89-18908079-9