[U-Boot] hi, I could not understand the memsize.c, somebody help me?

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Tue Jun 30 15:50:35 CEST 2009

Hi,

> Thanks for your patient explanation, I acquired a lot.

Glad if it helped.

> I just find in linux, arch/mips/bcm47xx/prom.c, there is a segment code just
> like what I suggest above.
> And move the code to my old box which bootloader is redboot, it works well. (Of
> course I also tryed memsize.c)so...

Wow, you're right.  To be honest, I do not understand the code, nor do I
know why it should work.

Already in the first pointer arithmetic "mem" is obviously interpreted
as sizeof(unsigned long) bytes and not in bytes as the constants
suggest.  Moreover they reference memory based on the address of a
function and compare it to something dereferenced immediately
afterwards - not taking "sticky values" on the bus into account.  I
don't even know why the dereferences should be similar at all as no
known values are there - at least I don't see that.

Not understanding how or why this code should work, I would not dare to
reuse it.

> I'm lucky to have my new box which bootloader is u-boot =D

Yes you are :)

Cheers
  Detlev

--