[U-Boot] U-book and GPLv3? (fwd)

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Tue Jun 30 16:04:59 CEST 2009

    Portable hand held medical devices - such as Glucometers. They fall into both
    categories. They are medical devices, who's "bad" software could cause a user
    to give them selves too much insulin (hypoglycemia -> pass out -> seizure ->
    death), or too little insulin (Hyperglycaemia -> stupor -> coma -> death).

That would be a good reason for the user not to change the software in
this device.  However, that does not mean he should be stopped.

After all, the user could also change the circuitry in the device, if
he is inclined to do so.  That too could make it give bad readings.
So what?  We do not need a nanny state stopping people from going out
of their way to take risks.  Warning them is enough.

    They are marketted, and purchased by end consumers (Amazon shows 115 results
    in their search), and I would think that would make them fall into the "User
    Products".

These are indeed User Products, and the user who buys them should have
control over what they do.

    I hope that you can respect my choice - and not try to convince me or others
    that your choices are superior to mine.

If your mind is made up, I will not pointlessly annoy you by trying to
convince you.  I will continue trying to convince others.

In 1983, almost everyone thought my ideas were foolish, but I did not
let that stop me, so now we have the GNU/Linux operating system.