[U-Boot] Trouble "booting using board info"

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Tue Jun 30 20:51:26 CEST 2009

Mikhail Zaturenskiy wrote:
>> Got it... thanks to
>> "http://www.mail-archive.com/u-boot-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg05111.html".
>> I added the following to the very end of
>> "u-boot-2009.03/board/ep88x/ep88x.c":
>>
>> #if defined(CONFIG_OF_LIBFDT) && defined(CONFIG_OF_BOARD_SETUP)
>> void ft_board_setup(void *blob, bd_t *bd)
>> {
>>        ft_cpu_setup(blob, bd);
>> }
>> #endif /* defined(CONFIG_OF_LIBFDT) && defined(CONFIG_OF_BOARD_SETUP) */
>>
> Forgot to mention that this function got u-boot to update my device
> tree properly, I had to make only minimal changes to my device tree
> "linux-2.6-denx/arch/powerpc/boot/dts/ep88xc.dts", correcting some
> addresses to match the IMMR set in my
> "u-boot-2009.03/include/configs/EP88x.h".
>
> I didn't even need to use /chosen/linux,stdout-path in my DTS, just
> used "console=ttyCPM0,9600n8" in my boot args.

Hi Mikhail,

The /chosen node should be created and populated by the fdt support to
reflect the board's hardware.  If you run the "fdt chosen" command, you
should see what is created.  If it isn't created, you are missing a
setup piece in your board support customization.

Having a /chosen node in the DTS is deprecated.

Best regards,
gvb