[U-Boot] Coldfire: MCF5271: Periodic HW watchdog petting and sleep function does not work.

Richard Retanubun RichardRetanubun at RuggedCom.com
Mon Mar 2 22:05:17 CET 2009

Hi Guys,

I am using u-boot 2009.03-rc1 and a board based on Coldfire MC5271EVB eval platform.
Our external watchdog is a MAX6369.

I have #define CONFIG_HW_WATCHDOG and #undef CONFIG_WATCHDOG in our board's config file and
have created the hw_watchdog_reset function to toggle the WDI line to pet the watchdog.

However, my board keeps resetting at the watchdog timeout. Upon probing, I found out that
the watchdog toggle line in not being toggled periodically by u-boot. Which means a regular call
to WATCHDOG_RESET() is not happening. If I execute commands, the WDI will get toggled and the watchdog
will not timeout, which means that the WATCHDOG_RESET() mapping to hw_watchdog_reset function is working, it is
just not being called periodically.

I am looking at the programmable interrupt timer that the get_timer() function uses, and so far everything checks out.

I'm also stuck at using u-boot's sleep command, e.g. "sleep 1" will never return. Which I suspect may be the same root cause.
(this can also be observed on the M5271EVB board).

What am I missing here?

Thank you for all your time.

Regards,

- Richard Retanubun.