[U-Boot] FSL DDR @ 83xx

Andre Schwarz andre.schwarz at matrix-vision.de
Tue Mar 3 10:12:04 CET 2009

Jerry Van Baren wrote:
> Andre Schwarz wrote:
>> Kumar Gala schrieb:

>>> I don't believe anyone is currently working on getting the new ddr
>>> code to be used w/83xx.  Feel free to submit patches that does this
>>> and we will review them as they are posted.
>>>
>>> - k
>> After spending few hours it seems to work basically.
>> This is what I've done :
>>
>> - add mpc8xxx(ddr/libddr.a to top level Makefile for 83xx
>> - created mpc83xx/ddr-gen2.c and ported to meet ddr83xx_t
>> - created board specific ddr.c for SPD accessor and basic setup.
>> - created board specific ddr2_spd_eeprom_t (soldered memory)
>>
>> The board config got these #defines :
>>
>> #define CONFIG_FSL_DDR2
>> #define CONFIG_DDR_SPD
>> #define CONFIG_NUM_DDR_CONTROLLERS      1           -> this should go
>> into mpc83xx header
>> #define CONFIG_DIMM_SLOTS_PER_CTLR      1
>> #define CONFIG_CHIP_SELECTS_PER_CTRL    1
>>
>> Since spd_sdram.o is always build (mpc83xx/Makefile) and the code is
>> also activated by CONFIG_SPD_EEPROM
>> we should find a reasonable way  to switch between "old" and "new" DDR
>> code by some kind of #define.
>>
>> Is this the way to go ?
>>
>> regards,
>> André
>
> Hi André, others,
>
> Has anyone made any progress on moving the mpc83xx family to the
> mpc8xxx/ddr unified initialization?
>
> André, could you post what you did to the list or, if it isn't in
> publishable shape, email it to me so I can bash at it?
>
> Thanks,
> gvb

Jerry,

unfortunately I got interrupted, since this has not been a high priority
issue to us.
The usual 83xx DDR setup works quite fine.

Since I'm horribly out of sync there'll be no patch.

What I have done so far (it's not yet working) :

- added #defines to board header for DDR gen2.
- created DDR-II compatible PROM table parsable by SPD code.
- added board specific DDR code according to Freescale file layout.
- created cpu/mpc83xx/ddr-gen2.c

All new code is plain copy/paste of existing Freescale code with minor mods.

Setting up LAW has not been done in any way.

I think the new code is pretty much straight forward and definitely
worth the effort porting it to 83xx.

You'll get my stuff off-list.

regards,
Andre

MATRIX VISION GmbH, Talstraße 16, DE-71570 Oppenweiler
Geschäftsführer: Gerhard Thullner, Werner Armingeon, Uwe Furtner, Hans-Joachim Reich