[U-Boot] Question about U-Boot porting based on ppc architecture

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 10 15:55:12 CET 2009

Dear Chengzhi Li,

In message <a053574e0903100628w2010f3c1x2de5293c567f19d5 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I am developing a new board using MPC852T as main control unit.  If I want
> to know which board U-Boot supported is familiar with my new board, what can
> I do? Did I need to Learn all the schematics of the board on which MPC852T
> is utilized? Oh, what a very huge and difficult work it is! So, who can tell
> me where the shortcut is? Thanks!

Yes, you need a  really  thorough,  in-depth  understanding  of  your
hardware  to perform such a task. If you additionally know some other
board very well (including the schematics) then you might  save  some
time by being able to copy parts of their configuration. Without such
knowledge, it is usually more efficient to focus on your hardware and
bring it up step by step.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"If that makes any sense to you, you have a big problem."
                                  -- C. Durance, Computer Science 234