[U-Boot] Multiple device support - none at all?

ksi at koi8.net ksi at koi8.net
Tue Mar 10 21:41:06 CET 2009

Hi, everyone.

I wonder if I'm dreaming or the U-Boot is fundamentally broken...

It looks like there is no support for multiple devices of a same kind at
all.

I'm porting U-Boot to my new MPC8548-based board and it pops up
everywhere...

The first case was I2C subsystem that does not provide for several I2C
adapters except rudimentary hacks for fsl_i2c.

Now it is USB. I have 2 OHCI USB controllers on the board, OHCI module in
NXP ISP1563 and OHCI controller in Silicon Motion SM502 MFD. The former is
supported in drivers/usb/usb_ohci.c, the latter is kinda trivial to add,
BUT...

It looks like nobody even considered the case when a board can have several
controllers... Looking at usb_lowlevel_init() I can see it only works for
the first device found, there is absolutely no provision for several
devices. And things are getting even nastier if there are devices of the
same type with different interfaces (e.g. on-SoC USB controller and a PCI
one.)

And this seems to be the case for each and every device type. Am I missing
something or U-Boot is actually flawed in FUNDAMENTAL way and it is time to
start a new one from scratch?

---