[U-Boot] U-boot debugger/emulator

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Mar 11 12:49:31 CET 2009

Dear Frank,

In message <1ba63b520903110250s4b006e0foe8ff2f08b4fd3efc at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> I agree that a generic solution is better, but....
> We use the Abatron BDI3000 for our current project (using the bdiGDB firmware
> for the MPC5xx/8xx). If we want to use this JTAG/BDM with, say an ARM processor,
> we must pay Abatron appox. half the price of a new BDI when switching firmware.

Um... not really. Normally the price for the firmware alone  is  less
than 40% of the price for the bundle BDI3000 with firmware.

> I think the cost here eats up the advantage of having a generic product.

Well, with hardware-specific products you always have to pay the full
price. That's even worse. And probably your interfaces (including the
user interface) are changing, too.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Quote from the Boss after overriding the decision of a task force  he
created  to  find  a  solution:  "I'm  sorry  if  I ever gave you the
impression your input would have any effect on my  decision  for  the
outcome of this project!"