[U-Boot] PCI-E problems on Kilauea board

Felix Radensky felix at embedded-sol.com
Wed Mar 11 15:42:06 CET 2009

Stefan Roese wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 March 2009, Felix Radensky wrote:
>
>>> The PCIe device used here is the Intel PRO/1000 PT Desktop card.
>>>
>>> Which Kilauea board revision are you using? And do you see the same
>>> problems with other PCIe cards as well?
>>>
>> I use Kilauea revision 1.2 and exactly the same network card as you.
>>

> I'm using the same board revision too.
>

>> The problem is still here.
>>

> Strange.
>

>> It doesn't happen with other PCI-E card I have
>> (10G Ethernet adapter).
>>
>> I have a feeling that 2 Kilauea boards of the same revision may sometimes
>> exhibit different behavior with the same version of u-boot.
>>

> This could be the case. Do you have another Kilauea board?

My customer has another board, which had issues with DDR2 autocalibration.

>> For example,
>> with u-boot 2008.10-rc2 that comes with AMCC CD, memory was properly
>> detected on one board in bootstrap option B but not detected on the
>> another. I had to recompile u-boot and disable autocalibration to make
>> things work on this board.
>>

> This is a different issue. The DDR2 autocalibration had a bug. Because of this
> some boards could boot just fine with autocalibration enabled and some not.
> This bug should be fixed now. In the latest U-Boot version autocalibration is
> enabled again for Kilauea and seems to work now. At least I didn't notice any
> problems anymore. Please give it a try and let me know if this doesn't work
> for you.

I have tried latest u-boot on Kilauea and on custom board based on 405EXr
and autocalibration seems to work fine.

> But again, this is a different issue. Not sure how to help you with the PCIe
> detection problem.

I've used Kilauea as a testbed before the custom board arrived. On this
board PCI-E
device is properly detected, so PCI-E detection on Kilauea is not
critical to me now.
I appreciate your efforts and advice very much. In case you have some
ideas I can
test them on my Kilauea.

Thank you very much for your help.

Felix.