[U-Boot] Mirror to github

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 17 09:29:10 CET 2009

Dear Jerry Van Baren,

as usual, you are asking a lot of very interesting and important
questions.

The situation is that I already discusses this matte with Jon at
length in private mail, and I have made myu mind up I do not attempt
to register at github.

In message <49BF008F.5090608 at gmail.com> you wrote:

> On the plus side
> ----------------
> * It costs denx.de nothing to mirror the master to github

This is not clear. It may be free at the moment. But did you read the
Terms of Service? "Logical Awesome reserves the right to  update  and
change  the  Terms  of  Service from time to time without notice. ...
Continued use of the Service after any such changes shall  constitute
your  consent  to  such changes." That means that you they can change
the terms from "free" to "$$$"  any  time  they  like,  without  even
noticing  you - you will just receive a bunch of invoices and have to
pay them, because you agreed to these terms, and to  the  changes  by
continuing  to  use github (as you didn't even have a chance to learn
about the changes).

> * It spreads the load (although denx.de seems to be responsive to date)

We can cope with the load, I think.

> * What questions haven't I asked?

Why should we support github? It is them who  want  to  save  storage
space  by  having  a local "master" repository. What prevents them to
create one? If they want, they can clone it from git.denx.de  -  they
don't  need  our  help  for  that.  They  can also keep it up to date
easily, either through a simple cron job that periodically pulls from
us, or by registering to the rss feed and reaction on that or ...

I see no reason to support them, and I see lots of reasons not to
accept their terms of service.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely.