[U-Boot] Cleaning up new port

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Tue Mar 17 14:49:51 CET 2009

Hi Remco,

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Remco Poelstra,
>
> In message <49BF9EA5.5040805 at duran-audio.com> you wrote:
>> I fully understand. The problem is that there is a special Ethernet PHY
>> on the board which is under a NDA, so I cannot publish code surrounding
>> it. I can publish the general part of the ethernet driver.
>
> So you cannot ever give anybody else a binary of your code or a board
> whith this code installed. Keep in mind that U-Boot is under GPL, and
> GPL violations are not accepted.

You should check if the PHY is already supported under linux.  You
should also see if it is really necessary to use the PHY's Sooper
Seecrit IP Magic Registers(R) for basic functionality.  Theoretically,
all the necessary functionality of the PHY is available through just the
commonly known (standard and possibly "defacto standard") registers.

Even NDAs are (should be) realistic in that they don't try to restrict
you from using publicly available information, and PHYs implement a
publicly available standard.

If the PHY isn't already supported by a GPLed driver and using the
Sooper Seecrit registers is necessary, I would suggest Remco's Lawyer
Department work with the PHY provider's Lawyer Department.  Many
component suppliers are getting clued in that strict NDAs that prevent
use in GPLed programs is extremely counterproductive to selling their
parts... limiting their market to just proprietary OSes is not in their
best interests.

I understand many component manufacturers don't have a problem with
releasing GPLed drivers for their parts as long as you don't replicate
their user's manual as comments in the driver.  You need permission to
have sufficient comments and sufficient definition that someone reading
the code understands what is happening.  Magic numbers slammed into
magic registers is not acceptable in GPLed drivers (IMHO).

>> I see, I will provide a working example.
>
> Probably exclude the whole network support part from your code.

...or, preferably, get permission from the PHY supplier.

> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

Best regards,
gvb