[U-Boot] RAM Probing for ads5121rev4

Michele De Candia (VT) michele.decandia at valueteam.com
Tue Mar 31 18:00:48 CEST 2009

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Emanuele Placidi,
>
> In message <7c4b93310902180021o56da8320w2084e6a8c09c9509 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>
>>    In your opinion it is possible to probe the ram before initialize it?
>> Unfortunately there are some rev4 which are equipped with different ram
>> model.
>> Examples are welcomed.
>>

> It is a standard feature in U-Boot (and has always  been  right  from
> the start with PPCBoot nearly 10 years ago) that we auto-detected the
> memory  configuration  on  the  boards,  both for RAM and flash. Some
> boards / architectures did not bother  to  implement  this,  but  the
> feature itself is present.
>
> The  details  depend  on  processor,  memory  controller  properties,
> specific RAM types used, etc.
>
> In case of the Micron/Elpida issue on the ADS5121, that should be not
> too difficult to solve.

The issue concerns the possibility to identify DDR chips type (e.g. by
VendorId) before initialize them.
It doesn't concern configuration parameters (size, bus frequency, ecc..).
There isn't a DDR command to read this information, do you think it is
possible to solve this problem in other ways?

--

*Michele Jr **De Candia*

Value Team

Via Vespri Siciliani, 9
20146 Milano
Tel. +39 0248985722
michele.decandia at valueteam.com <mailto:michele.decandia at valueteam.com>
http://www.valueteam.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE -This message and its attachments (if any) may
contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information and
is intended only for the use of the addressee named above. No
notified that you must not use, disseminate, copy it in any form or take
any action in reliance on it. If you have received this message in error
please delete it and any copies of it and kindly inform the sender of
this e-mail by replying or go to www.valueteam.com
<http://www.valueteam.com> on 'contacts'.