[U-Boot] Disable features

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri May 1 15:26:42 CEST 2009

Dear Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD,

In message <20090501120400.GB3291 at game.jcrosoft.org> you wrote:

> > It makes no sense to me to reset the PHY when no network command is
> > being used. I imagine this might be a workaround for broken Linux
> > drivers which do not correctly initialize the hardware themself.
> correct
> IIRC if you do not do it the net drivers will have no mac address
> and you will not be alllow to use nfs as rootfs

That's a bug in the Linux drivers in the first place, and a bug in
the ARM Linux kernel's boot interface in the second place.

But then, I also see no correlation between setting a MAC address and
waiting for autonegotiation to complte. We should be able to do the
former without doing the latter. In any case, the behavious is wrong
and should be fixed. See also
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/EthernetDoesNotWorkInLinux

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The only person who always got his work done by Friday
                                                 was Robinson Crusoe.