[U-Boot] AMCC 405EX Trap

Jonathan Haws Jonathan.Haws at sdl.usu.edu
Mon May 4 17:19:38 CEST 2009

> see
> >>
> >> That is a good idea.  I haven't thought of performing those tests.  Are
> >> there specific tests I can enable in the U-Boot environment for that?
> >
> > Perhaps the memory tests from the POST infrastructure. But from my
> experience
> > a realworld application running under Linux is a good test. For example
> > compiling a Linux kernel in a loop. Perhaps mounted via NFS. Something
> like
> > this should fail at some time when SDRAM related problems exist.
>
> Agreed that real world application tests can be sufficiently abusive to
> surface problems.
>
> However, a side benefit of a non-application, exhaustive diagnostic is the
> attendant reporting that goes with such a test that can identify
> particular
> data patterns or addresses that fail giving better insight into the true
> nature of the problem.

I agree with Grant on this point.  If the x-rays do not show anything, then I believe that there is something in the chips that is causing the problem - which a memory diagnostic would show well.  And if these chips are having issues and the others on the other boards are from the same lot, then there could be issues not cropping up on the other boards.

Also, Stefan, to answer your question about OS - we are using VxWorks as the OS.

Thanks again!

Jonathan