[U-Boot] Current status of UBI?

Matthew L. Creech mlcreech at gmail.com
Mon May 4 17:12:22 CEST 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 3:59 AM, Stefan Roese <sr at denx.de> wrote:
>> The goal is to get a single R/W filesystem on a large NAND partition.
>
> You are aware that the U-Boot UBIFS implementation is (intentionally)
> read-only?

Yes, I understand that.  Read-only from U-Boot is fine (sorry, should
have been more specific).

> No. If you used "ubinize" then your image is already an "UBI" image which has
> to be written to FLASH with the "usual" FLASH commands (e.g. cp.b for NOR,
> nand write for NAND etc).

Ah, ok.  That's actually really useful for our manufacturing process.
But skipping the "ubinize" step, then, the other steps look ok?

> I have to admit that I never used UBIFS on large page NAND chips yet. One
> thing you should make sure is to erase the FLASH before calling "ubi part". I
> suggest you start a again with step 2 after erasing this UBI partition.

Right, I'm being sure to erase it each time before I try "ubi part",
just to limit the number of variables.  I'm trying to do:

nand erase 500000   (0x500000 is the start of my UBI partition)
mtdparts default   (assigns 0x500000 and up to "root" partition)
ubi part root

and getting what seems like stack corruption around
ubi_read_volume_table() for table copy #2.  Is there anything I can do
to try and narrow down what's going wrong, other than selectively
removing code paths to see what helps?  I've never had to debug at the
U-Boot level before.

Thanks for the response

--
Matthew L. Creech