[U-Boot] usbtty Support on AT91SAM9XXX chipsets

Daniel Sherwood Daniel.Sherwood at sepura.com
Sat May 9 09:15:48 CEST 2009

Remy

> There are indeed 2 routes:
> 1. If you need a serial console, you can still use it with the older
> usbtty code.
> 2. Adapt the new CDC layer such that it becomes suitable for console
> purposes as well. I would be happy integrating patches for this in the
> USB branch. That would allow us to migrate to 1 usb-gadget layer in
> the future which can be kept close to the linux development.

If we were to take option 1 then what do you propose would be the easiest way of integrating the current usbtty implementation with the AT91 USB device.  Is a 'wrapper' between the two frameworks practical or would we be better off writing a new UDC implementation for AT91 that matches the other implementations.

For option 2, I think we need to take serial.c and u_serial.c from Linux and then make them work with the uBoot console framework.  Is this correct?

> > Also, if this is the
> > way to go, could someone confirm which version of the Linux Gadget
> > framework ether.c and friends are based on.  It appears to be completely
> > different to the latest version.
>
> It is a port from Linux 2.6.27 to U-boot.
> Latest kernel changes are not integrated yet. But the port was kept
> quite close to the original code to make it easier to upgrade later
> on.

OK, we'll have a look at that version as a starting point.  I presume you mean the original 2.6.27, not any of the 2.6.27.x series.

> Kind Regards,
>
> Remy

The information in this email is confidential. It is intended
solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else
is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, or distribution is prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this email in error please delete
it immediately and contact commercial at sepura.com.

Sepura plc. Registered Office: Radio House, St Andrew’s Road, Cambridge, CB4 1GR, England. Registered in England and Wales. Registration Number 4353801