[U-Boot] onenand bad block handling

Geiger Ho geiger.ho at fmp.fujitsu.com
Mon May 11 12:24:05 CEST 2009

Hi all,

  I am working on an ARM platform with OneNAND as the permanent storage
for u-boot, Linux kernel and rootfs. I am using u-boot-2009.03 and linux
kernel 2.6.27. I have some questions about the bad block handling of
OneNAND.

  1. How does the u-boot handle bad block for onenand?
  2. If u-boot is creating a bad block table, does it need to pass to
the kernel? If not, how to ensure their bad block table are in sync?
  3. How to deal with bad blocks after the writing of the u-boot, kernel
and rootfs image? Is it the job of UBI?

  Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Geiger