[U-Boot] Memory problems on mpc8572ds

Sebastian Andrzej Siewior u-boot at ml.breakpoint.cc
Thu May 14 19:22:27 CEST 2009

Hello,

my mpc8572ds (2x 512 MiB ram) had initially u-boot 1.3.0-rc2 and I
haven't notice any problems. Today I updated u-boot to v2009.03 because
I was not able to boot current vanilla linux kernel in smp mode.
Since then I experience random kernel opses. I thing it has something to
do with memory setup. The settings in the ddr controller changed from
(v1.3.0-rc2):
- ddr->sdram_mode 0x00400a62;
- ddr->sdram_data_init = 0x00000000;
- ddr->sdram_cfg_2 = 0x04401000;

to (v2009.03):
- ddr->sdram_mode 0x00440a62
- ddr->sdram_data_init 0xdeadbeef
- ddr->sdram_cfg_2 0x24401000

I cherry-picked commit 6a819783 aka "fsl-ddr: Fix two bugs in the ddr
infrastructure" but nothing improved.

Now I've picked v1.3.0-rc2 and linux v2.6.29. With that combination
everything seems to work however I experience sometimes ICE while
compiling. If I continue to compile from that point there is no ICE
anymore so it does not look like a gcc bug to me.

Any suggestions? Someone with similar problems?

Sebastian