[U-Boot] Best way of making some drivers common across kirkwood and orion5x SoCs?

Prafulla Wadaskar prafulla at marvell.com
Mon Nov 2 09:42:38 CET 2009

Dear Albert

I propose the following strategy for this-
For orion- let's follow the standard development strategy used for ARM architectures including Kirkwood.
Since orion and kirkwood has lot of similarities but when both these will evolve for there entire supports there will be problems resulting code complexity.

So My suggestion is- let's develop orion as separate ARM SOC family as kirkwood.
Some of Kirkwood drivers can be directly used with Orion, that can be addressed through makefiles as we used NS16550 Serial support in Kirkwood. SOC specific configuration in the common drivers (for ex. Egiga) can always be addressed through individual <asm/arch/*.h>

> While we wait for others' opinion, one quick question: do you
> prefer me
> to submit this rework of the Marvell IP/drivers as individual patches,
> one for each IP/driver, or as a single patch for the whole rework?

It is always better to break down the entire work in the small pieces, it's easier to digest them faster :-)

Regards..
Prafulla . .