[U-Boot] MPC8349E-MDS questions

Mit Matelske mit at jetiprinters.com
Tue Nov 3 21:45:06 CET 2009

I am working on a board based on the MPC8349E-MDS eval board from
Freescale.  One of the few differences is that it has an Atmel flash
part on it (AT49BV642DT 4Mx16) and a Xilinx FPGA.  I have the old
u-boot-1.1.3 that came with the eval board running both on the eval
board and our "new" board, however I am having trouble getting the
latest release, u-boot-2009.08, to come up on our board.

I found this old post from Dave Liu:

The MPC8349ADS is merged to MPC8349EMDS in the latest u-boot
of GIT. The latest u-boot 83xx source code has more high quality than
the U-boot-1.1.4 release. But be careful the boot address is changed from
high end to low end memory. and the HRCW need come from flash. So
1) You must program the image to the head of flash.
2) Change the SW4[FCFG] to '1'

and with that information I got the latest u-boot running on the eval board.

I believe I made the changes to our FPGA that the eval's CPLD did when
the FCFG gets switched to 1 (bringing up flash enable at reset).
Since we have a smaller flash, I am putting the u-boot.bin at
0xFFE00000 (0xFFF00000 for the original Freescale u-boot), the base
address for our flash.  But I'm still not having any luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Mit Matelske