[U-Boot] framework for serial flash

ashish priyadarshi priyadarshi.ashish at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 05:46:09 CET 2009

Hello Wolfgang

Thanks for your reply.

The device composes of a Serial NOR flash (STmicro M25P64) and Serial Memory

Controller Interface (SMI). All operations such as Read-ID, read-data,
write-data, and
erase can be controlled by SMI. Like for Read-ID, first command is written
into the TX
register of SMI and then 3 bytes of flash-ID can be read back from Rx
regsiter of SMI.

SMI differs from a normal SPI controller in this way that it manages a lot
of things
on its own. For example to  read FLASH id we need to tell SMI beforehand how
many
bytes it has to read in response to this command.
The SPI Flash interface however splits this in two seperate xfer calls where
command
is sent first and then response is read.
regards
Ashish