[U-Boot] u-boot: How to read file from FAT filesystem on NorFlash MTD partition

Xianwei Zeng xianweizeng at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 15:56:11 CET 2009

Hello,

I hope I am not sending mail to the wrong mail list.

I am porting u-boot to our Xscale based board, with 32MB Nor Flash on
board. And in this board, it is required that, the u-boot should be able to
read some files from a FAT file system on one of the Nor Flash partitions.
The Nor Flash is managed as MTD device under Linux OS.

In current  u-boot implementation, I can use fatload to read files from
mmc or USB storage device, which is also FAT filesystem. And I can
also use fsload command to read files from JFFS2 filesytem on NorFlash
or NandFlash.

But I found I cann't uses these command to read files from a FAT filesystem
on NorFlash. I cann't format this partition to JFFS2 filesystem because it
is exported to Windows/Linux host via USB gadget after system boots up.

Can someone tell me the best way to solve this problem, or give me some
hints of which part of code I need to change?

I am creating a new command following fsload, using MTD devices in U-Boot,
and try to mount the FAT filesystem, but failed at reading the real file
data out,
although I can read the file name, the file size and the file start sector
number out.

--
Best Regards
Xianwei ZENG