[U-Boot] why is the compilation of cmd_pcmcia.c hardcoded?

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Thu Nov 19 01:15:37 CET 2009

On Wednesday 18 November 2009 03:17:21 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   i'm curious as to why common/Makefile hardcodes the compilation of
> cmd_pcmcia.c thusly:
>
>   COBJS-y += cmd_pcmcia.o
>
> since i'm interested in building for a beagleboard, i have no interest
> in PCMCIA support, yet that source file will be compiled for me, even
> though the selection macro CONFIG_CMD_PCMCIA does exist and is defined
> by a number of other board configurations.
>
>   what seems stranger is that, even though that config macro exists,
> it isn't used in the Makefile but *is* tested in the source file
> itself to determine whether the "pinit" command will be compiled:

you didnt read enough of the code.  specifically, you missed the fact that
other config options can compile code in this file even if CONFIG_CMD_PCMCIA
is disabled.

if you feel like re-architecting and splitting the code to take this into
consideration, that's one thing.  but it isnt a simple 'move the config option
into the makefile' fix.
-mike