[U-Boot] ARM preprocessor error generating assembly dependencies

Dirk Behme dirk.behme at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 1 08:13:49 CEST 2009

Dirk Behme wrote:

>>> I have no clue what you are talking about...
>>
>> It seems to me that dependencies for ARM assembly files are generated
>> with different (incomplete?) options than the compilation is done.
>> That is, it seems to me that for ARM assembly file compilation,
>> -D__ASSEMBLY__ is set, while for dependency generation it isn't.
>>
>> I'm asking if anybody can give me a hint where I have to look for the
>> (compiler/assembler) options used for dependency generation (for
>> lib_arm/*.S for lib_arm/.depend) or if any expert likes to have a look
>> to this (most probably being faster than me then ;) ).
>
> Example: Put
>
> #ifndef __ASSEMBLY__
> #error "Foo"
> #endif
>
> into a lib_arm/*.S file you like (and which is build ;)) and test what
> happens. I would assume, if -D__ASSEMBLY__ is used everywhere correctly,
> no error message should be given.

Sorry if I'm wrong, but looking into top level rules.mk

_depend:	$(obj).depend

$(obj).depend:	$(src)Makefile $(TOPDIR)/config.mk $(SRCS)
		@rm -f $@
		@for f in $(SRCS); do \
			g=`basename $$f | sed -e 's/\(.*\)\.\w/\1.o/'`; \
			$(CC) -M $(HOSTCFLAGS) $(CPPFLAGS) -MQ $(obj)$$g $$f >> $@ ; \
		done

this doesn't distinguish between .c and .S sources?

That is, it doesn't use AFLAGS set in config.mk to generate assembly
dependencies? So setting  -D__ASSEMBLY__ while generating assembly
dependencies is missing here?

Best regards

Dirk