[U-Boot] Starting compressed win CE kernel

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Sep 4 14:17:00 CEST 2009

Dear "A. Geisreiter",

In message <001701ca2d55$f30b6200$d9222600$@de> you wrote:

> > What makes you think that the uncompression code used by bootm would
> > be any faster than the one used by unzip? It ain't faster, as it is
> > the very same code actually.
>
> If bootm use the same code like the unzip command, then it couldn't be
> faster.

Indeed.

> But I have compressed a nk.bin Windows Image file with GZIP. Then I
> uncompressed the 10MB File with U-Boot. It takes roughly 1 minute. And this
> is to much I think. What could I do to reduce the uncompression time? My
> hardware works with an PXA270 CPU.

You probably want to enable caches on your system, to get faster
performance. Jean-Christophe (on Cc:) claimed several times before
that he was working on such patches. Maybe you ask him when he will
post this stuff.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
On the subject of C program indentation: "In My Egotistical  Opinion,
most  people's  C  programs  should be indented six feet downward and
covered with dirt."                               - Blair P. Houghton