[U-Boot] PPC440GX: DDR ECC init time.

Wouter Eckhardt Wouter.Eckhardt at Prodrive.nl
Fri Sep 4 14:34:49 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I'm making quite good progress porting U-Boot (2009.03) to my custom
PPC440GX board. Right now I'm trying to solve a little problem I have
with board start-up time when I enable ECC on DDR RAM. The board
literally takes minutes to initialize RAM. I'm guessing this is due to
the fact that ecc_init() fills the entire RAM (the comments already
suggest some performance enhancements can be implemented).

I've tried solving this by shortly enabling the D cache before writing
RAM and disabling the D cache afterwards, using the function
change_tlb(). However, if I enable the D cache using change_tlb() and
supply it with the same parameters ecc_init() receives, I get an
exception when change_tlb() invalidates the cache. Commenting out that
call (just to try it) solves the exception problem, but the RAM
initialization time does not really seem to improve.

What can I do to speed up this ECC initialization? Have I forgotten
something when I try to enable the D cache? Any suggestions are welcome.

Kind regards,
Met vriendelijke groet,
Wouter Eckhardt
Engineer
wouter.eckhardt at prodrive.nl
tel. +31 40 2676187
Prodrive B.V.
Postbus 28030
5602 JA Eindhoven
Ekkersrijt 5025
5692 EB Son
The Netherlands
tel. +31 40 2676200
fax: +31 40 2676201
www.prodrive.nl

Disclaimer: The information contained in this email, including any attachments is
confidential and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and