[U-Boot] PPC440GX: DDR ECC init time.

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Tue Sep 8 11:49:44 CEST 2009

Hi Felix,

On Tuesday 08 September 2009 11:19:41 Felix Radensky wrote:
> Not exactly related to the subject under discussion, but I thought I'd
> mention it.
>
> I had problems with ecc_init() on a custom 460EX board with soldered DDR2.
> Right after ecc_init() u-boot was crashing on PLB access. I've modified
> the code
> to use program_ecc_addr() instead of ecc_init(), and problem was solved.
> I was
> wandering why use two different ECC initialization routines for SPD and
> soldered
> cases, when program_ecc_addr() can do the job in both cases, while
> ecc_init()
> apparently has issues ?

Most likely historic reasons. I added Grant Erickson to Cc, IIRC he
added/tested this ecc_init() code. Maybe he can shed some more light into
this.

But from looking at it, it seems to me that we should get rid of one of those
routines. program_ecc_addr() seems more generic to me. Patches welcome. ;)

Thanks.

Cheers,
Stefan

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-0 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: office at denx.de