[U-Boot] Why Cache flush required in some ARM Cortex boards to enable D cache?

akshay ts takshays at yahoo.co.in
Wed Sep 9 05:23:53 CEST 2009

Hi,
I ran into problems when i enabled D cache. But later i found out that cache flush was required before enabling D Cache. What i dont understand is why is it required?. Since earlier D cache is never enabled and so nothing should be present in the cache.
Flushing is only required during context switch/may be interrupts?.
I tried with omap3 board with Arm cortex A8 on it, it worked without a cache flush. I tried with C110 with Arm cortex A8 on it, i had to do a cache flush to make D cache work.
Also if possible please tell me what is a GP device, OMAP3 (CONTROL_STATUS register) seems to be a GP device and hence they are skipping cache flush. I dont know what is this.

Warm Regards,
Akshay

      Love Cricket? Check out live scores, photos, video highlights and more. Click here http://cricket.yahoo.com