[U-Boot] How to burn new U-Boot over network

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Wed Sep 9 20:02:35 CEST 2009

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 05:18:43AM -0700, alex889 wrote:

> Thanks for your answer.
> I tried this before i posted the question, and it didn't work.
>
> Do you know the exact address of the U-Boot on the NAND?

You need to use the "nand" command to erase and program NAND.  Typically
the boot image will be at offset zero within the NAND.

And be careful, if the new image doesn't work you'll need that JTAG.

> Is there an additional header before the U-Boot?

That's specific to your hardware and any pre-loader you may have.

If you're using nand_spl (U-boot's built-in NAND pre-loader), you'll
typically just stick u-boot-nand.bin at offset zero.

> Daniel Gorsulowski wrote:
> >
> > alex889 wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> I'm working on the DM365evm,
> >> and i was wondering if there is a way to burn new U-Boot version over
> >> network, instead of Code Composer and a JTAG?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Alex
> >
> > Hi Alex,
> >
> > of course it's possible!
> > But it depends on the location of your U-Boot.
> >
> > I.e. your U-Boot is located in dataflash or NAND flash:

I assume you mean "*not* located in dataflash or NAND flash"...

-Scott