[U-Boot] Executing uboot from FLASH

Mike Breneman mbrenema at Brocade.COM
Mon Sep 21 19:55:52 CEST 2009

Thanks for the response.  Currently the processor will have 128KB of RAM.  It will be running a small footprint RTOS.

This processor is sort of a co-processor which offloads the main CPU for certain tasks.  It is basically replacing an FPGA as it is a cheaper solution.  I will check if I can bump the RAM to 256 or 512KB.

I began to suspect it would be a sizeable effort to modify u-boot to execute from FLASH, thanks for confirming.

Regards,
Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: u-boot-bounces at lists.denx.de [mailto:u-boot-bounces at lists.denx.de] On Behalf Of Wolfgang Denk
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2009 10:46 AM
To: Mike Breneman
Cc: u-boot at lists.denx.de
Subject: Re: [U-Boot] Executing uboot from FLASH

Dear Mike Breneman,

In message <B0A7AF226B49A14897036E9B3A68CFFECB1AB0F248 at HQ-EXCH-7.corp.brocade.com> you wrote:

> I am working with the AMCC PPC 405Ex. I will have very limited RAM
> on my production board, thus I would like u-boot to execute from

How much is "very limited" ?

If you want to use that board for any reasonable pourposes, which
justify the use of a boot loader like U-Boot, then you probably have
more than enough RAM to run U-Boot.

> FLASH rather than RAM. Has anyone else done this? I played with this
> a couple of days with out much success. Is it do-able, without too
> much effort?

It would be significant effort. And it makes not much sense, as you
would lose a lot of basic functionality, resp. have to work around the
resulting restrictions.

It doesn't make sense to me. Rather think how to make it fit into
avilable RAM. How much RAM do you have?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The light at the end of the tunnel is usually a "No Exit" sign.