[U-Boot] Warning Bad CRC

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Sep 22 12:31:27 CEST 2009

Dear Rahanesh,

In message <4AB86541.1090505 at tataelxsi.co.in> you wrote:

> >> *** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment
> >
> > Ah! Here you can see that the CRC is incorrect in U-Boot already, so
> > why do you expect to see a different result when using fw_printenv?
> >
> > WHen the CRC _is_ incorrect, both U-Boot and fw_printenv will report
> > this fact in the same way.
> >
>  The message is printed because the flash sector or ERPROM containing
> the environment variables has never been initialized yet. The message
> will go away as soon as you save the envrionment variables using the
> |*saveenv*| command.

Well, then just run "saveenv", make sure the warning message
disappears, and re-try using fw_printenv after that.

> > I have no idea what sort of code you might be using there, there is no
> > such file as 'sflash.c' in the mainline U-Boot code.
> >
>      sflash.c is flash driver code . I  showed you the print message of

Maybe it's some flash driver code - in any case it is code that is
unknown to us, as it is not part of the mainline U-Boot source code.
How do you expect us to comment on the operation of unknown code?

> savenev to note that it is erasing 0xad030000 - 0xad03ffff. That means
>      environment variables are placed in the mentioned sector(0xad030000
> - 0xad03ffff). Actual address of environment variables is 0xad03f000,
> which is last 4Kb
>      of  64KB sector. If this is the case what should be the
> DEVICE_OFFSET? ENV_SIZE?

You are using a quite unusual configuration here - and one that makes
no sense to me. But I don;t know your hardware, nor your code, so
Icannot comment.

> Using the latest u-boot will be quite time consuming. Please help!!!

I cannot help you. Nobody can help you. You are using unknown
hardware with unknown code in a suspicious configuration. Someone who
came up with this implementation and configuration should also have
the knowledge to debug the issues you are observing. Contact the
developers of that code, please.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"An open mind has but one disadvantage: it collects dirt."
                                                    - a saying at RPI