[U-Boot] Does u-boot have support for a usb-ethernet adapter:

Remy Bohmer linux at bohmer.net
Tue Sep 29 14:52:13 CEST 2009

Hi,

2009/9/29 Harsh Goel (RBEI/ECB4) <Harsh.Goel at in.bosch.com>:
> Does u-boot have support for a usb-ethernet adapter:
>
> http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot/u-boot-usb.git;a=commit;h=79c130f4a7af3ab4de041d60afa4e2fc1ec0c9ef
> i found at the following link that u-boot have support for usb-ethernet adapter.

Yep, these patches make the device running U-boot as an USB ethernet
adapter itself.

> But it is not working for me .
> Please help me to sort out this issue.
>
> Detail:
>
> I am able to ping my host from device but it connectivity stays only for some time then goes off.

U-boot does not work with interrupts, and there is only one single
thread running at any instance of time.
So, U-boot can only handle 1 thing at a time, so similar to any other
network driver in U-boot, the USB ethernet interface will perform
these steps:
1. Pull the VBUS line to announce itself to the host
2. Host will enumerate the device and load the drivers.
3. Once the network is brought up, U-boot is capable of doing some
network action (like ping, TFTP, DHCP etc)
4. The VBUS is pulled down again to allow U-boot to do something else,
like handling terminal keys or other commands.

This can certainly be improved, but that would require continuously
polling for interrupts from the mainloop. This would be different
compared to all other network drivers, so it was not chosen to do so
at the time we wrote these layers.
Patches are welcome!

> Please also tell how get gatewayip also.

Good question... I do not remember if this was implemented... I have to check.

Remy