[U-Boot] kirkwood (openrd): saveenv will not work with environment in NAND

Simon Kagstrom simon.kagstrom at netinsight.net
Wed Sep 30 08:21:21 CEST 2009

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 17:16:42 +0200
Dieter Kiermaier <dk-arm-linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hm, it looks like there is the whole nand system somewhat broken :(
> Haven't seen it earlier, but:
> U-Boot 2009.08-00208-g9ef0569-dirty (Sep 29 2009 - 15:42:42)
> OpenRD_base
>
> SoC:   Kirkwood 88F6281_A0
> DRAM:  27535155593740288 MB
> NAND:  0 MiB
> *** Warning - bad CRC or NAND, using default environment
>
> But boot message state that there is no NAND detected!
> So I assume that is the main cause for the not working saveenv command?
> Cross checked it with marvell provided u-boot - this one works. So damaged hardware isn't the case.

It's a EABI problem, see this thread:

  http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2009-September/059896.html

(and the other one referred from here). We don't have a good solution
yet, but you have a hacky patch to revert to the old ABI at the end of
the thread above.

We still haven't found out what's actually causing this. EABI itself
should be fine since Linux works well with it, but something is causing
problems with multiple versions of GCC for U-boot. For now you can use
the patch referred to above. For me, saveenv works fine on OpenRD, so
it should be OK for you as well :-)

// Simon