[U-Boot] Getting "Unable to save the rest of sector (196608)" when I turn on Redundant env with CFG_ENV_ADDR_REDUND

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Apr 8 12:04:19 CEST 2010

Dear Brian Hutchinson,

In message <y2o3d1967ab1004071745y111d704oda973290a7a4afa6 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > #if CFG_ENV_SECT_SIZE > CFG_ENV_SIZE
> >        up_data = (end_addr_new + 1 - ((long)flash_addr_new + CFG_ENV_SIZE));
> >        debug ("Data to save 0x%x\n", up_data);
> >        if (up_data) {
> >                if ((saved_data = malloc(up_data)) => = NULL) {
> >                        printf("Unable to save the>  rest of sector (%ld)\n",
> >                                up_data);
> >                        goto Done;
> >                }
> >                memcpy(saved_data,
> >                        (void *)((long)flash_addr_> new + CFG_ENV_SIZE), up_data);
> >                debug ("Data (start 0x%x, len 0x%x) saved > at 0x%x\n",
> >                           (long)flash_addr_new > + CFG_ENV_SIZE,
> >                                up_data, s> aved_data);
> >        }
> > #endif
> >
> > ... which to my understanding is intended to allow you to save RAM by
> > using a env. smaller than your sector size which is my case.

This has nothing to do with saving RAM.

The thing is that with CFG_ENV_SECT_SIZE > CFG_ENV_SIZE, there might
be important data in the part of the sector that is not occupied by
the environment, so we must save and restore this content.

> > I've also tried to set CFG_ENV_SIZE to be the flash sector size which
> > gets me over the above "Unable to save the rest of sector" problem but
> > I suspect that I'm having RAM issues as I only have 128M RAM and am

128 MB of RAM is an awful lot.

> > trying to use two environments of 256k each and the problem I'm having
> > then becomes when I try to nfs boot my board .... it just hangs.

Two copies of 256 kB each gives just a 0.4% of the available RAM - I
don't understand why you think this might be a critical amount.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"There are things that are so serious that you can  only  joke  about
them"                                                    - Heisenberg