[U-Boot] Serial port initialization and multiplexing

harsh poshtiwala hiharsh at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 15:24:29 CEST 2010

Hi All,

I have MPC8379 board. It has 2 serial ports.
1 is connected to the console, while the 2nd serial port is connected
to another micro-controller.

I would like to use both the serial port, how do I achieve this?

As far as serial port configuration is concerned What should go in
include/configs/MPC837XRDB.H ?

Where else in the source code I need to make changes to initialize
both the serial ports?

I don't want to use to environment variable every time I want to use
either of the serial ports. I want to use both serial port as and when
required without changing environment variable.

In the README file I could locate the following, but it has left me
with more confusions.

Environment / Console:
 	CONFIG_SYS_CONSOLE_IS_IN_ENV            if defined, stdin, stdout
and stderr used from
                                the values stored in the evironment.

	CONFIG_SYS_CONSOLE_OVERWRITE_ROUTINE    if defined,
console_overwrite() decides if the
                  values stored in the environment or the standard
                          serial in/out put should be assigned to the console.
	 	CONFIG_SYS_CONSOLE_ENV_OVERWRITE        if defined, the start-up
console switching
	                                are stored in the environment.
I would appreciate your inputs.

--