[U-Boot] Does U-boot supports Spansion S29GL512P NOR Flash?

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Tue Apr 13 14:16:01 CEST 2010

Hi Prakash,

On Tuesday 13 April 2010 13:46:11 prakash bedge wrote:
> >> Are you not using the mainline version of cfi_flash.c? If not, which
> >> "fixup code" are you referring to (link)?
>
> I am using U-Boot 2009.08 version.

This version is outdated. I suggest to switch to current code.

> I used the fixup for M29W128GH chip from the patch you suggested earlier.
> In that code, I changed the condition to check chipwidth and it works.

You shouldn't need any additional code to support the Spansion S29GL chips.
Please use the latest code from mainline U-Boot.

> But I have a concern now, as it works with by changing chipwidth to 16Bit
> or portwidth to 16Bit. This is making me a little bit confuse.
>  if(info->chipwidth == FLASH_CFI_16BIT)
>   info->portwidth = FLASH_CFI_8BIT;
>
> if(info->chipwidth == FLASH_CFI_8BIT)
> info->portwidth = FLASH_CFI_16BIT;

???

> Can you please tell what is chipwidth and portwidth and how we can find
> that?

chipwidth: Width of the NOR FLASH chip, meaning count of data lines
	actively used.

portwidth: Width of the external bus (data lines).

> Also I am not getting the correct manufacturer and device ids.
>
> From the flash control register I can see that my device is 16 Bit.It
> reprsent a bit set 1 saying it is a 16 bit device.
> Now is this flash chipwidth or flash portwidth?

chipwidth.

> To my flash chip 16 data lines and 26 address lines are connected.

So you have chipwidth *and* portwidth of 16! This is the most common use case.
Again, please use the mainline CFI driver and give it another try.

> >> Perhaps a problem of incorrect unlocking addresses (byte vs. word
>
> address)?
> Does it mean that unlocking addresses are not correct?
> Supoose if chip is in word mode then what should be the portwidth and
> chipwidth? What will be the ublocking address then?
>
> I am using an utilty to erase flash and to load uboot image and it is
> working fine, only that it copies data at multple locations.

What kind of "utility"? Don't you use the BDI3000 for FLASH programming? This
mirroring might a a result of an incorrect EBC setup.

Cheers,
Stefan

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-0 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: office at denx.de