[U-Boot] [STATUS] Heads-up: Reorganize directory structure

Peter Tyser ptyser at xes-inc.com
Fri Apr 16 00:44:22 CEST 2010

Hi Alessandro,

<snip>

> > How does putting boards in their appropriate CPU directory make
> > your coding any easier?
>
> Because if all boars with the same SoC are in the same directory they
> can share source files.

But boards don't need to be in the same directory to share the same
source files.  You could pull out common code to arch/arm/cpu/* or
arch/arm/lib right now if you wanted, but that is the case whether the
board directories were in board/... or arch/....

> In my example, st/nhk8815 and calao/usb-s8815
> had several files replicated -- so Wolfgang rejected the patch.  But
> in a vendor-based structure I won't merge in a single board dir boards
> from two different vendors. Same will happen for dave/zefeer where a
> lot is in commong with edb93xx.

Could you give a specific example of how you'd like to final
directory/file structure to look like?  eg where would the code common
to the nhk8815 and usb-s8815 be located?  What would the file(s) be
named?  And how would the issue of vendors like Freescale which support
multiple architectures and share code between them be supported?

<snip>

> thanks for your patience

Likewise:)

Peter