[U-Boot] [STATUS] Heads-up: Reorganize directory structure

Alessandro Rubini rubini-list at gnudd.com
Thu Apr 15 19:58:45 CEST 2010

>> Most boards are very similar to the original evaluation kit.  For
>> example, [...]

>> Similarly, I'm working on a dave-tech.eu board series based on
>> ep9302-ep9315.  [...]

> I don't follow either argument, or the name-switching argument...

Well, the name-switching is half a joke (but the philips 21xx is now nxp,
motorola went freescale and so on).

> How does putting boards in their appropriate CPU directory make
> your coding any easier?

Because if all boars with the same SoC are in the same directory they
can share source files. In my example, st/nhk8815 and calao/usb-s8815
had several files replicated -- so Wolfgang rejected the patch.  But
in a vendor-based structure I won't merge in a single board dir boards
from two different vendors. Same will happen for dave/zefeer where a
lot is in commong with edb93xx.

That's what the kernel is doing, actually. In arch-pxa, arch-at91 and
other directories at the same level I have board file and some files
that are used by several boards.  Some are SoC wide, so would fit in
cpu/ within u-boot, but some not (although, my fault, I'm not digging
for filenames to show).  I think there already is some replication in
u-boot currently, but I haven't stats right now.

On the other hand, having boards as subdirs of the same parent doesn't
automatically make replication go away, but at least may avoid new
replication in future boards

thanks for your patience
/alessandro