[U-Boot] [STATUS] Heads-up: Reorganize directory structure

Peter Tyser ptyser at xes-inc.com
Thu Apr 15 17:58:19 CEST 2010

Hi Alessandro,

On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 17:31 +0200, Alessandro Rubini wrote:
> I can see how it'd be
> >> nice to split up boards into CPU directories, but we'd have to discuss
> >> some of the warts, like where vendor-specific code would be located if
> >> we went down that path.
> >
> > Right. I can see arguments pro and con each of the approaches, and I
> > must admit that I have no telling argument for either.
> >
> > My gut feeling is that I like the existing board/ approach better, but
> > I'm open to arguments.
>
> Here a pair of arguments...
>
> Most boards are very similar to the original evaluation kit.  For
> example, within Nomadik, code for the Calao USB-S8815 is not much
> different from code for the NHK8815 evaluation board. But Wolfgang
> refused my patch as the files are very similar; I asked how to
> proceed, with no reply so far.  Note that both board/calao and
> board/st exist (board/st only has 1 board, though).
>
> Similarly, I'm working on a dave-tech.eu board series based on
> ep9302-ep9315.  board/edb93xx exists but "edb" is the evaluation
> board; mine should be board/dave/zefeer (board/dave already exists),
> though very similar to edb93xx code.
>
> Hope these are arguments WD would consider. Moreover, vendors switch
> names often, cpu families do it rarely.

I don't follow either argument, or the name-switching argument...  How
does putting boards in their appropriate CPU directory make your coding
any easier?  And why does vendors switching names make a difference?

My understanding is that currently we have:
board/
  $VENDOR/
    $BOARDA
    $BOARDB

Putting boards in CPU directories would result in something like:

arch/
  $ARCH/
    cpu/
      $CPU/
        board/
          $BOARDA
          $BOARDB

So the contents of $BOARDA directory are nearly identical whether its
located in board/... or arch/..., right?  I thought we were only talking
about organizational changes.  Are you talking about combining multiple
vendor's code into 1 file, as well as restructuring directories?  Maybe
an explanation of what you're envisioning would help.

Best,
Peter