[U-Boot] [STATUS] Heads-up: Reorganize directory structure

Alessandro Rubini rubini-list at gnudd.com
Thu Apr 15 17:31:27 CEST 2010

I can see how it'd be
>> nice to split up boards into CPU directories, but we'd have to discuss
>> some of the warts, like where vendor-specific code would be located if
>> we went down that path.
>
> Right. I can see arguments pro and con each of the approaches, and I
> must admit that I have no telling argument for either.
>
> My gut feeling is that I like the existing board/ approach better, but
> I'm open to arguments.

Here a pair of arguments...

Most boards are very similar to the original evaluation kit.  For
example, within Nomadik, code for the Calao USB-S8815 is not much
different from code for the NHK8815 evaluation board. But Wolfgang
refused my patch as the files are very similar; I asked how to
proceed, with no reply so far.  Note that both board/calao and
board/st exist (board/st only has 1 board, though).

Similarly, I'm working on a dave-tech.eu board series based on
ep9302-ep9315.  board/edb93xx exists but "edb" is the evaluation
board; mine should be board/dave/zefeer (board/dave already exists),
though very similar to edb93xx code.

Hope these are arguments WD would consider. Moreover, vendors switch
names often, cpu families do it rarely.

/alessandro