[U-Boot] [STATUS] Heads-up: Reorganize directory structure

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Apr 16 01:14:50 CEST 2010

Dear Alessandro,

In message <20100415153127.GA628 at morgana.gnudd.com> you wrote:

> > My gut feeling is that I like the existing board/ approach better, but
> > I'm open to arguments.
>
> Here a pair of arguments...
>
> Most boards are very similar to the original evaluation kit.  For

Some boards are different, others arent. I would not dare to say which
group is bigger.  In most cases the eval kit is something you don't
really want to replicate in your own design if you know what you are
doing.

> example, within Nomadik, code for the Calao USB-S8815 is not much
> different from code for the NHK8815 evaluation board. But Wolfgang
> refused my patch as the files are very similar; I asked how to
> proceed, with no reply so far.  Note that both board/calao and
> board/st exist (board/st only has 1 board, though).

Sorry if you are waiting for a reply  guess I missed that. But what
could I say in such a situation? That it makes sense to factor out
common code, of course.

> Similarly, I'm working on a dave-tech.eu board series based on
> ep9302-ep9315.  board/edb93xx exists but "edb" is the evaluation
> board; mine should be board/dave/zefeer (board/dave already exists),
> though very similar to edb93xx code.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you want to tell me, what the
problem actually is, or why it would be solved by moving to beoards
into arch/cpu/ ?

> Hope these are arguments WD would consider. Moreover, vendors switch
> names often, cpu families do it rarely.

Once a name was chosen, it is permanent. I haven't seen any
significant number of name changes in the whole history of PPCBoot and
U-Boot. And I don't see how this is relevant to the location in board/
or arch/cpu/ ?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Question: How does one get fresh air into a Russian church?
Answer:   One clicks on an icon, and a window opens!