[U-Boot] [STATUS] Heads-up: Reorganize directory structure

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Apr 16 15:23:03 CEST 2010

Dear Graeme Russ,

In message <r2sd66caabb1004160445t8832c707w8ac6c7b903e1fd34 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> The problem with the current structure is that there is no way of
> knowing which $BOARD in board/ uses a particular CPU or SOC. Therefore

So look it up in the Makefile, or in MAKEALL - what's exactly the
problem?

> Exactly - Any code that exists under multiple existing $BOARDx dirs
> which is only duplicated 'by bad example' and is, in reality, CPU or SOC
> specific should be moved into the appropriate arch/ dir. Once the
> /board/$[cpu, soc]-generic/$BOARD move has been been done, identifying
> the duplicate code will be that much easier

Identification of such code has never been a real problem. The
problem is that it needs somebody to come up with patches to clean up
the mess. I doubt that the number of volunteers will significantly
grow just by reorganizing the directory structure.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Well, the way I see it, logic is only a way of being ignorant by num-
bers.                                 - Terry Pratchett, _Small Gods_