[U-Boot] [RFC] PPC: post_word_{load/store} - eliminate redundant code

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Wed Apr 21 15:51:00 CEST 2010

Hi Michael,

On Wednesday 21 April 2010 15:24:15 Michael Zaidman wrote:
> >> In order to eliminate redundant code for powerPC architecture when
> >> defining post_word_{load/store} routines I suggest  moving them into
> >> the arch/ppc/lib/commproc.c file rather than adding them to every
> >> arch/ppc/cpu/XXXX.
> >
> > NAK. The commproc.* files are supposed to contain code dealing with
> > the PowerQUICC Communication Processor Modules. This is in no way the
> > right place for common code.
>
> Meanwhile the  post_word_{load/store} are located in the commproc.c
> files for the following architectures:
> mpc8260,
> mpc85xx,
> mpc8xx,
> ppc4xx.

I just started looking into this as well.

> Looking for the way to add POST functionality for the mpc83xx family I
> realized that the post_word_{load/store} can be generalized for all
> ppc architectures.

Or a weak default version even for all architectures.

> Could you point please to the file where such kind of things - common
> for all CPU families of particular architecture should be located?

If done for all architectures, then "post/post.c" (already exists) or
"lib/post.c" (new file) comes to my mind.

Any comments on this? Other suggestions?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Stefan

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-0 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: office at denx.de